You won’t be able to tell this Creamy Vegan Spinach Risotto is actually vegan. It is so creamy and delicious, but much healthier without the added fat and calories from cream. The spinach and flavourful basil add gorgeous colour and added nutrients.
Serve with my 3 Ingredient Healthy Vegan ‘Cheese’ for a healthier, dairy-free alternative to parmesan.
Creamy Vegan Spinach Risotto
- 1 1/2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 1/2 cups arborio rice (or regular rice)
- 1 298ml can of vegetable stock (or chicken stock if not vegan)
- 2 1/2 – 3 cups water
- 1 1/2 cups spinach, roughly chopped
- 1 tablespoon fresh basil, diced
- Heat olive oil in a pot over medium heat. Add the onion and garlic and cook until the onion is translucent, approximately 4-5 minutes. Season with salt and pepper and add the rice. Stir until rice is fully coated.
- Add the can of vegetable broth. Reduce heat to medium-low, allowing the rice to gently simmer. Stir the rice until the broth is fully absorbed. Once the broth is fully absorbed, add 1/2 cup water and continue stirring. Continue adding 1/2 cup of water at a time once the liquid is fully absorbed, ensuring to stir occasionally so the rice does not stick. Continue adding liquid until the rice is fully cooked. I used 2 1/2 cups of water, but you may need a little more or less depending on your stove heat and desired consistency. Add spinach and basil and allow spinach to steam.
- Serve with my 3 Ingredient Healthy Vegan ‘Cheese’ if desired.