There is nothing better than a warm bowl of hearty oatmeal on a Saturday morning. This oatmeal is so hearty and filling, and tastes like carrot cake! You get added nutrients and an additional vegetable serving from the shredded carrots. Since this recipe makes three servings, I like to make it on a weekend morning and save the leftovers for two quick and healthy weekday breakfasts. All you have to do it reheat and top with your favourite toppings!
I like to top these oats with dried cherries, pumpkin seeds, and granola.
Warm Carrot Cake Oats
- 1 1/2 cups water
- 1/2 cup milk alternative
- 1 1/2 cups carrots, grated
- 1 cup oats
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/8 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
- 4 teaspoons honey or maple syrup
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- Add water and your milk alternative of choice to a medium pot. Add grated carrots and oats.
- Season with cinnamon, nutmeg, vanilla, brown sugar, and salt. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat to low and simmer for 20 minutes, until oats and carrots are fully cooked and creamy.
- Serve with your favourite toppings. I used dried cherries, pumpkin seeds, and Purely Elizabeth Cranberry Pecan Ancient Grain Granola.