I am a huge fan of buttercream icing. I make it to ice cupcakes, cakes, and sugar cookies. When I was diagnosed with lactose intolerance I didn’t know how I could replace my favourite buttery icing with something that tasted just as good.
I experimented with coconut oil and with Earth Balance Vegan Spread. I discovered that the two mixed together created the best consistency and tasted the most like my original buttercream recipe.
This Vegan “Buttercream” Icing is light and fluffy. It can easily be spread onto cookies and cakes, or piped when chilled. It is a great consistency and tastes amazing. My family and friends couldn’t even tell that this wasn’t made with butter! This will now be my go-to recipe for icing on all occasions.
Vegan Buttercream Icing
- 1/4 cup virgin coconut oil, hardened
- 1/4 cup Earth Balance Vegan Spread, room temperature
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 tablespoon soy milk or desired milk alternative
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- Cream coconut oil in stand mixer until light and fluffy. Ensure coconut oil is hard. This can occur at room temperature, but if your kitchen is too hot, place it in the fridge for a few minutes to ensure it is hard.
- Add Earth Balance Vegan Spread and cream until light and fluffy and fully combined.
- Add soy milk, vanilla, and powdered sugar. Cream until fully combined.
- If the icing is too thick for your desired use, add a little milk until you reach your desired consistency. If the icing is too thin, add powdered sugar.
- Store in the fridge and allow to come to room temperature before spreading on cakes or cookies.