With the weather getting colder and December right around the corner, I love making comfort foods to stay cozy. One comfort food that is perfect on a chilly and damp day is homemade soup. This homemade chicken and rice soup is the perfect comfort food.
This soup is made with homemade broth. I like using homemade broth to eliminate the added sodium and chemicals in store bought broths. By making your own broth you know exactly what is going into your soup and have control over the sodium levels. Making your own broth is actually surprisingly easy and uses up left over chicken carcusses.
By adding rice the soup becomes gluten free. You can add and substitute your favourite vegetables or whatever you have on hand. Soup is nutritious and warming on a cold day.
Homemade Chicken Rice Soup
- 6 cups water
- 1 chicken carcass
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 1 clove garlic, whole
- Green onion ends
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- Salt and pepper to taste
- ¼ cup carrots, sliced
- ¼ cup celery, sliced
- ¼ cup split peas
- 1 cup rice
- 6 cups chicken broth
- ¼ cup frozen peas
- Green onions, sliced
- In a large pot add water, chicken carcass, salt, pepper, 1 whole clove of garlic, and green onion ends. Bring to a boil. Simmer on low heat, covered with lid for at least 30 minutes.
- Dice 1 onion and mince 1 clove of garlic.
- Add olive oil to a skillet over medium heat. Add onion and garlic and season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Slice carrots and celery. Add to onion and garlic mixture. Cook until onion translucent and carrots are softened, about 5 minutes.
- Add split peas and rice. Stir until coated. Then strain chicken broth over rice mixture. Use a fine strainer lined with paper towel to catch any debris and chicken pieces. Allow soup to simmer over low heat for 30 minutes.
- Place chicken carcass on cutting board and allow to cool slightly. Remove edible chicken pieces and add to soup mixture.
- Add peas to soup minutes before serving. Serve in bowls and top with sliced green onions.