Spaghetti is one of my favourite meals to indulge in. This spaghetti sauce is thick and meaty and packed with tons of flavour. It is a great source of carbohydrates and protein, and is perfect for a post workout meal. I love having this meal to refuel after a strength workout. It is also perfect for entertaining!
This sauce can be served over gluten free pasta if desired.
Classic Meaty Spaghetti Sauce
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 2 large garlic cloves, minced
- 2 medium onions, diced
- 1/2 teaspoon salt and pepper
- 2 pounds extra lean ground beef
- 1 large 680ml can tomato sauce
- 1 small 156ml can tomato paste
- 1/2 tablespoon red wine vinegar
- 1/2 tablespoon soy sauce
- 2 teaspoons brown sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/4 teaspoon chili flakes
- 1/4 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon dried parsley
- 1/2 teaspoon dried marjoram
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh basil, plus more for garnish
- Heat olive oil in a large pot. Mince garlic and dice onions. Sautee in olive oil over medium heat until onions are translucent. Add salt and pepper. Add extra lean ground beef and stir occasionally over medium until fully cooked, 8-10 minutes.
- Add tomato sauce and tomato paste and stir until fully combined. Reduce heat to low and allow sauce to simmer. Add red wine vinegar, soy sauce, and brown sugar. Add dried seasonings.
- Roughly chop fresh basil. Add 1 tablespoon to sauce and reserve extra for seasoning.
- Continue to allow sauce to simmer over low heat,stirring occasionally. Simmer for 20 minutes or longer to allow flavours to continue to develop.
- Serve sauce over cooked spaghetti noodles and garnish with fresh basil.