Oats are one of my favourite breakfasts. They are so simple to make and are filled with fibre and protein. Oats are so versatile, they can be topped with your favourite fruit, nuts, seeds, and nut butters.
A warm bowl of oats is so comforting on a cool fall day. These Apple Cinnamon Oats are perfect to make during fall, especially during apple season. The apples are coated in cinnamon sugar, and warmed in a skillet until golden and caramelized. It’s almost as good as having apple pie for breakfast!
Apple Cinnamon Oats
- 4 1/2 cups of water
- Gluten free steel cut oats
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon coconut oil
- 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 2-3 apples, sliced
- Bring 4 1/2 cups of water to a boil. Add oats, vanilla, cinnamon, and brown sugar. Reduce heat and simmer on low for 20 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Thinly slice apples. Mix with brown sugar and cinnamon.
- Heat coconut oil in a skillet over medium heat. Add apple cinnamon mixture. Cook over medium heat until golden and caramelized.
- Serve warm oats in four bowls. Top with warm apples. Drizzle with almond butter or top with toasted almonds if desired.