I like to incorporate rice into my meals every week. Rice provides many benefits, and is an easy gluten free option for those with gluten sensitivities. Eating the same old rice every week can be bland and boring. This rice dish is full of flavour and easy to prepare. Try my Coconut Rice for a twist on your rice dishes.
This recipe can be made as a side dish, or with some added protein and veggies, make it a one pot main course meal! I added chicken strips into the rice, and topped with veggies. Chicken or shrimp are both great protein additions to this dish. For vegetarians, toasted almonds would be great. Tossing in some peas, broccoli, or spinach would be a great way to add some veggies and create a quick, one pot meal.
- 1 teaspoon coconut oil
- 1 onion, diced
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon ginger, grated
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1 1/2 cups basmati rice
- 1/2 cup chicken stock
- 2 1/2 cups of light coconut milk (or 2 cups light coconut milk and 1/2 cup water for a lighter version)
- 1/2 cup shredded coconut
- 1 lime
- Green onion to garnish
- Added protein or veggies if desired
- Heat coconut oil in pot over medium heat. Add diced onion, minced garlic, and grated ginger. Add salt and pepper to taste. Cook on medium heat until translucent, about 5 minutes.
- Add the basmati rice and stir until fully coated. Add chicken stock and coconut milk. Bring to a boil.
- Cover and simmer over low heat until rice is fully cooked, about 25 minutes.
- If desired, add your choice of protein or veggies.
- Add in shredded coconut and the zest of 1 lime. Stir until combined.
- Serve in four bowls. Top with lime wedges and sliced green onions.